Tuesday, May 24, 2011
To the left, you can see art from our first build of Kansei. The initial plan was to use the same sprites for the returning characters for the sake of consistency, but as we worked on it, we quickly changed our minds. Deji felt that her art had improved enough that she wanted to redo the characters. Looking at some of the feedback we received, we decided to update the art style to something more mature and fitting for a murder mystery, so Deji changed the style and the color palette to have a darker feel. As this game has a good deal more exploration than the first, my plan was to use 3D backgrounds to generate all the environments, but after getting the first few done, I wasn't terribly enthusiastic about how it meshed with the sprites. Once Deji updated her art, the 3D backgrounds were completely inconsistent with the sprites, so I switched back to 2D. The current build (pictured on the right) is, in my biased opinion, much better than our first go. I'm really excited by the way this game looks, and I hope that you guys like our updated look as well.